Website sponsored by Paynes Shopping Centre
community was originally called Sandy Bay and
was later changed to Parsons Pond. This
name may have come from a visiting clergyman,
Rev. Isaac Parsons or from a seasonal visitor
to the area.
first census was taken in 1874, and it showed
a population of 18. By 1901, there were 63 residents
and in 1911 more than 100.
1867, John Silver heard about oil slicks appearing
on nearby Moulting Pond and tried drilling on
its north side. He had to abandon this because
of objections from the French. Another attempt
was made by the Newfoundland Oil Company in 1894.
They struck oil but had to abandon the operation
due to operational difficulties. Between 1916
and 1926, the General Oilfields Company of England
operated 3 wells and a small refinery. The quality
of the oil was high, but its quantity was low
and these wells were later abandoned.
lobster fishery remains an important employer
in the town, as well as the provision of tourism
services since the opening of Gros Morne National
Park. The town was incorporated in 1966. Its population
as of 1991, 582.
Structure | Business
| Attractions | Recreation
| Weather | Locator
| Whats New? | Historic
hosted and maintained by AdvertiseNorth